From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 May 2000 09:36:36 -0400
Since the subject of ticks is coming up, I wanted to share my first
experience with ferrets and ticks.  I volunteer at my local MSPCA, and they
got a ferret in that was covered with ticks.  I offered to take her home
and remove the ticks.  I tried the Vaseline and tweezers and it didn't work
well for me.  Then a shelter Mom (Jan DeJesus of Gimmee Shelter in Wareham,
Ma) told me to get a "tick spoon" they sell them at all pet stores and some
supermarkets carry them in the pet section.  Its a small spoon with a "V"
shaped cut in it.  You slide the spoon against the tick and pull it out,
it works great.  I took 10-20 ticks off this ferret every day for almost a
week, I was finding them everywhere, around her mouth, between her toes, it
was awful, but she was so good about it.  She was known as the "tick girl"
but I renamed her Francesca.  She was adopted from Luv of Ferrets.  She is
a sweet ferret, and I think of her often and hope she is well and happy.

Sandy, Clerk Massachusetts Ferret Friends