From:
Milliesa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 2010 19:10:41 -0600
Please be advised the ferrets will be cared for. There are 22 (we had
such a range on the #'s it wasn't till recently we knew for sure what
the #'s were). Thankfully they were not in the horridness' condition
some of the other poor species were in. We donated food for them till
they could be released. We also had volunteered the distemper vaccine
but before it was delivered, the finalization was handed down so we
will vaccinate them after they come here.

SPCA is NOT adopting out the animals, they are going to zoos and
rescues only. We have been in their data base for some time, previously
inspected by HSUS and enjoy a high reputation within the rescue
community. We did agreed to take ALL ferrets regardless of the #'s.

NO, at this time we do not know what country they came from - most all
species were exotics that didn't pass customs, were not quarantined,
and much much else was going on with them. Rumor has it, these ferrets
were domestic. We are hoping above hope this is the truth. We should
be able to pick them up sometime tomorrow if not sometime this
week..........we have the cages set up and are ready physically.

ALL REPORTS from every source who were caring for them, and some were
very ferret knowledgeable people, these are absolutely vicious. They
attack for the sport of it. And they are not necessarily young ferrets
either. It's guesses they were neutered and spayed (our vets will be
very very thankful if so, after what they went through with the Rainbow
Exotic ferrets which were all whole).

If domestic, we will need to test for ADV at least twice if negative,
if they are foreign and test negative, we will want to test them 3
times. During the testing period, they cannot go nowhere. If they test
positive, we can decide pretty soon but we don't know if might be a
stronger strain than we have here so they cannot be placed in normal
homes. By that we mean they will have to go to dedicated people who
will understand they MUST never be turned into animal control, never
given to another person, no future ferret brought into their homes, no
visiting ferrets or taking them to organized events. In other words,
they cannot be allowed to mingle with domestic ferrets. This is not
to be taken lightly and we are seriously dedicated to these little
monsters as well as the highest priority of protecting our domestic
ferrets.

We will need help financially...........the cost of the ADV testing
alone can break us, plus the distemper and rabies. We also microchip
every ferret that goes through here. We are good with enough bedding
and fixtures and space as I have 3 rooms dedicated to the ferrets. We
will combine the treatment/sick room and adoption room for the shelter
ferrets then use the third one just for the Arlington ferrets which is
located across the house from the others. We have over 40 cages in the
adoption room plus 3 exercise spaces which should keep us floating
with the ferrets in Texas where we won't have to turn others down.
Thankfully we have the support of so many people here in Texas, we
should have enough volunteers to come help handle them - hoping just by
separating them into groups of two or three they will calm down. They
will need to be worked with every day for a considerable length of
time.

As soon as we know more, we will report in. Please keep these little
tykes in your thoughts and care and , with times so tough, if you can
consider giving a donation for the testing and/or vaccinations, it can
make all the difference in the world how this is pulled off. We will
not ask for same until such time as the ferrets are completely released
to us and we have an idea of what we are going to need to do for them.

Millie and her ferrets and Danes
www.txferretrescue.org