Date:
Sun, 5 May 2002 11:07:18 EDT
My mischievous, moody, Miss May Mini-Mean Mini-Me meandered behind me
through meadows and woods this morn.  As a cover girl of a highly popular
Ferret Mailing List calendar, And as Miss May , it was surprising to see
this seductive beauty keeping up the gigantic human footstep pace the big
humans set for her.

While communing with nature, we sighted a red fox watching her two tan
baby foxes.  Each had black tip tails flicking and curling..  These little
fur balls hopped straight up in the air, as though on a trampoline, over
and over.  Then they cavorted and fell upon each other, and clowned around
on the fragrant meadow grasses: leaping and rolling.  They remained close
to the den for all the while we joyfully watched them.  Mom sat under a
tree and seemed utterly unperturbed we were admiring her family.  We did
remain a respectful distance.  I wondered if they could smell Mini-Me,
and if so-what did they think she was?

We passed a lovely white tailed deer, then a small herd, in a field
through the woods.  Then we watched a beaver gliding through the water to
his fortress, while we tried not to jump up and down like the baby foxes-
in sheer delight.  Mini-Me was in the pouch by now with her tiny head
sticking through.  I just kept stroking that little head with my finger
and whispering to her.  Her little black eyes looked straight up at her
Mom.  Me!!!!!

The baby foxes would have enjoyed playing with her-until she bit their
butts.  Mini-Me is a big bloody butt biter.  Everyone has constant scabs
on their butts from the 'hoowibul gurll.'

We passed a raccoon lumbering along side to side- looking through the tall
grasses, that occasionally glanced back at us.  He was chubby and large,
with such a lovely ringed tail.

We ended up sitting by the lake-and along came Mom and dad goose with the
first babies we had sited on the water, toddling behind.  Only Two?  Me
thinks from the geese crying out in the middle of the night that Mom fox
is busy along the waters edge late at night arranging a tender meal for
her children..

Mini-Me is a silver mitt with white bib and paws and eyes that appear to
have the shape of triangles- in an exotic oriental tilt.  She also has a
delicate appearing, narrow face and snout, and irritatingly sharp teeth..
Her weasel nose was forever sniffing in the delicious aromas of spring.
Boy-did it smell heavenly this morning!!!!!!!!!!  And here I was with this
work of art.  I loved having her with me-looking down on this whimsical,
diabolical, complex being.

Her body shook when we started out, and we did so slowly at first to just
stand and hold her and reassure her.  But then she trotted briskly on and
on through the fields right behind me.  I gathered her in her pouch
through the woods.  She was calm and inquisitive by the time we reached
the small lake.  But then she smelled home.

She was a clawing frenzied mess until I could get her in the doorway.  Off
came the leash, and she ran every which way.  Ferrets came out to butt
sniff her, and she not only had a lovely morning.  But she is now the most
popular ferret in the household.  Well...... Until she remembers to sneak
up on cats and ferrets and Mom while we sleep, and she bites our butts
again.

Personally, I had to go out and purchase pajamas and store away my
nightgowns, for butt safety purposes.  I was thinking of making a safety
training film called 'Ferret Proofing in the nether regions', and charging
people NOT to see it.

From the howribul gurll and all them there, and there, and there, and...
stinky slinky aminals-- whose cages I must now clean once again??----they
told me these were self clean !!!!!!!!  Maaaan, wus up wi that????

Happy Spring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lisette