From:
Jason Ehrhart <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 1992 13:38:19 -0500
Hi everybody!

Well, in my first note, I just wanted to find out more about this
mailing list and subscribe (I didn't exactly understand that you'd
post it!) but that's ok. Now I'll go into more details of my ferreting
experiences.

First off, I must say that I am still in mourning regarding K2, my
silver which died about a month and a half ago. I bought her with
her sister, Kastle (a sable) six years ago. She died in an accident.
One of my old co-workers was over visiting and the ferrets were out
of their cage (see below), having a merry old time of it. K2 decided
to play hide and seek. Well, the ferrets have a thing for getting
into an old couch I have in the house, (it has the legs taken off to
keep ferrets out, so it is a goal for the ferrets to get into it),
which is also a pull-out couch. Well, she (somehow) got into the
couch, and when it was time for my friend and I to leave, we went
searching for K2, (Kastle was found easily using the squeaky toy
ploy), she wouldn't come out. Well, my friend had seen me look into
the couch for my ferrets before so while I was searching elsewhere,
he opened the pull-out couch and looked. Well, K2 must have been
hiding in the arms or the back of the couch because my friend didn't
see her. After he looked in the one side of the couch, K2 came out
and was walking under the couch when my friend decided that she
wasn't there and closed the couch on poor K2, breaking her back in
three places and killing her. It wasn't until the next day, when my
cat, Quattro pointed out that K2 was under the couch. I'm still
kinda bummed about it, but Kastle now needs a new playmate and
living here in Utah, a ferret free zone (I bought them when I lived
in Wash. DC six years ago) it is very difficult to find ferrets....
Kastle has slowed down quite a bit without her sister, and getting a
kit is proving to be impossible. Any suggestions?

As much as I love to play with my ferret(s), we all know that there
are times when they must be supervised, (i.e. put into a cage for a
little while), like when my friends with small children show up,
it's hard to explain to small children about the "ferret rules". So,
a cage becomes a necessary addition.

As we all know ferrets are very well versed as escape from various
cages and as a result, I came up with what seems to be the ultimate
ferret cage. I used to have hamsters as a child and was very
familar with the Habitrail (tm), so here's what I've done.

You go to a pet shop or store which sells traveling kennels for dogs
and cats, buy severl of these, they will be your modules, I have one
as their dining area, one as the bathroom, one as sleeping quarters,
a playroom. Then go to a hardware store, you want PVC tubes, 3"
diameter, get connectors, and raw tubing. Then, I cut holes into the
travel kennels which are large enough to stuff (tightly) the PVC
tubing. You'll get the idea, cut the tubing into different lengths,
use the connectors to make it interesting, make a maze. I have the
tubing running into several rooms now, I've even found that the
little clear plastic balls which you can put hamsters into and let
them roam work as "look out" posts as they fit perfectly onto the 3"
PVC tubes. It's very modular so it can be changed to keep the
ferrets confused, or challanged. (;

--
jason ehrhart [log in to unmask]
univel