From:
Larry McFarlane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 2003 21:24:21 -0500
There it was, on the FML.  Home needed for elderly ferret.  I can't
remember the wording properly, but I remember she didn't do well in
the shelter setting.  She'd been in foster care, and for one reason or
another had to go back to the shelter.  Turned out our daughter and I
were getting ready to go visit Harvey & Helga Clark in Illinois, near the
St. Louis area, and this little one was at FURRY.  So I gave my husband
the 'Bambi eyes' and said she's elderly, let's see if we can give her a
home.  Helga talked to the folks at FURRY and they said yes.  So in
September of 2001 Sally became a Hoosier.  I don't know all her history,
but know she was abandoned in an apartment.  When Sara Munz brought her
over that night to the Clarks we talked a lot, and I knew I had to get
her blood tested-they thought she was insulinomic.  After Sara left
Helga and I watched her, and we found she was also blind.  Sally hated
other ferrets-get one around her and she'd scream bloody murder.  So the
Clark's loaned us a small 'condo' for her, and she rode home in that.
She settled in quite comfortably, didn't mind being by herself.  I'd hold
her, tuck her under my shirt and rock her, calling her Silly Sally.  Took
her to the vet and they said borderline insulinoma, so onto Pedia-Pred
she went.  She learned to eat our chicken gravy, and eventually she would
even let Alix eat out of the same plate, but Alix must never, ever touch
her!  You had to make sure she smelled and heard you before you touched
her, else you'd be prying her clamped jaws off of you.

Sally made the move up here just fine, but in the last month or so I
noticed a terrible smell.  We had her teeth checked, and they were all
right for her age.  She'd had some neurological problems with her right
hind leg, it would be stiff, and lately it was sticking straight out.
She was suddenly losing hair, all over her body, by the handfuls, and a
growth started on her right front paw.  I'd been keeping up the blood
tests, and her pedia pred dosage kept rising.  I didn't realize she'd
gotten a bit dehydrated till we took her and Muggles in, and our vet told
us to up the pedia pred more.  She'd also been getting more incontinent,
and I'd have to bathe her about every 3rd day, lately every day, and when
she pottied she cried.  So Larry and I kept talking about it, the vet and
I talked.  I talked to Randy and I talked to Alicia, and in my heart of
hearts they told me what I already knew, that her time was drawing to a
close.  Within the last week Sally's weight has started to drop, and
although her coat came back, it's falling out again.  She can hardly
stand, and her little right leg is almost paralyzed.  I've been having
to hold her up to eat, and there are a number of days she can't walk,
she falls over and just stays there.  I called the vet Monday, 3/3/03, to
set up the time for today, and Sally will be released from her pain, her
blindness, and her illness.  I will cuddle her, talk to her again of the
Bridge, and of the Crew that is there, that will welcome her, and I know
this time she'll join them.  She'll see, she'll be healthy, she'll be
able to eat what she wants, and no longer alone.  I've spent time with
her this past evening, holding her, loving her.  I gave her another bath,
held her while she ate, held her against me and I cried.  I have a white
pouch for when her ashes come back, and she'll be with the others in the
memory box.  Sally, my sweet little old lady.  You are over 10 years old.
10 years-what a wonderful age.  I don't know what your history was, if
your previous humans loved you or ignored you or what.  I know that we
love you, and I wish this wasn't so hard to do, but I know it's best for
you.  You have given me your love and your trust, and all I can do is
love you, and help you now.  I can only hope that you loved me enough to
wait with the other members of the Crew for me, for I would love to hold
you again.  Have fun, Silly Sally, be a good girl, and be a ferret, learn
to dance, which I never got to see you do.  Perhaps you and Alix will be
able to dance together, and practice so I can see that amazing feat.
This afternoon my sweet little old lady you will have slipped the surly
bonds of earth, and be the newest, brightest star in the heavens.
Sandee, please watch for Sally.  She'll be so bright and shining, and
she won't be able to quit looking at things, for I know she hasn't seen
things in a long time.  Let the Crew be there-Socks, Suzy, Kit, Nibbles,
Bailey, Alix, Gandalf, Muggles, Chili, Nelly, and Jill.  Alix is the only
one who ever really knew her, and not by much, but please let them make
her welcome, let her know how much she was and still is loved.

Rebecca & the Crew of Merry Mayhem, watching a star burning so bright
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and
 taste good with ketchup"
"Support bacteria, it's the only culture some people have"