From:
Chere McCoy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 11:58:06 EDT
Sorry I haven't been on line but the phones down here are not as they
should be.  I write off line and then try to go in to send.

Chere here with Ferret Friends of Indian River County and Ferret Friends
Disaster Response.

Activities

For the last two days we have been trying to communicate with our
insurance company (they were supposed to be here Monday or Tuesday).
And FEMA both agency's seem to be totally busy!

Tarps are being handed out (free) at the Indian River County Main
Library - for anyone that needs them.

Got more MRE's from the Fire Station, Got light bulbs and V-8 juice from
store.

All ferrets are fine and doing very well.

Found out that The Creature Safe Space (approximately 200 animals) was
underwater and had no electricity until Monday.  Lynn who runs it moved
all the animals into her house (it sits on stilts) imagine having 9 fox's
in your spare bedroom!  The Lamas were having a good time standing on the
septic tank hill.  NBC news made it out to her house in a boat.  We
didn't get to see the footage as at that time we had no power but Lynn
will be giving us a clip.  We understand the footage was seen in Miami,
Orlando and other places but since none of us had power or TV we didn't
know her shelter was down until Monday.

We put in the call for expired antibiotics that could be used on the
animals which range from Lamas (don't know how to spell that).  Fox's and
other wildlife to 3 ferrets.  I can't name all the animals she has.  It
seems lots of the wildlife in the area the parents died and left the
babies on high ground where Lynn lives (and she lives in the middle of
nowhere)!  Near Ft.  Pierce.

Am helping all I can by gathering up supplies for her animals.

In the "Believe it or not" category Ivan made a turn around and came back
to us and it rained for 36 solid hours on Sunday, Monday, and finally
stopped Tuesday afternoon -- it was so depressing.

Today it is cooler, clear and windy.  We have to get our one student
ready for his check ride as he leaves this coming Monday.  The student
that was coming the 26th of September has told us he is not ready to
come yet (bummer).

Great news!  we adopted out 6 of the nine ferrets that were in foster
care -- yeah, fantastic, great and all that other good stuff.

We think we have the mold under control.  We have to tear out some of the
ceilings though when the insurance people and FEMA come.

Thus far we have had to through out about 800 pounds of things that were
ruined and we have just started.

If you would like to help us you can send (even a $1 would be great)
through paypal to Agedog1 or to the address below.

Some really great news our little store at <http://332.Scifstore.com> is
back up and running all purchase's will go toward the Animals effected by
Hurricanes Frances and Ivan.  So shop there for things you want to give
as Christmas presents.

All for now.  Love you all,  Kiss your fuzzies every day.

Chere McCoy
Ferret Friends of Indian River County
8775 20th Street, Lot 614
Vero Beach, FL   32966-3065