From:
Ferret MOM <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Mar 2006 02:16:50 -0800
My experience is that ferrets will appear to lose weight when switched
from cat/kitten foods.  The better the ferret food the less Your ferrets
will need to eat to get the same necessary protein and nutrients in their
daily diet.  ( Poops will be less as well)

Just like humans, extra carbs make for a more sluggish metabolism, bloat
in tissues, fat around the vital organs, etc.  My ferts would prefer a
treat or two, now and then, instead of a diet high in carbohydrate.
(More ofter 2 and NOW) Also, a good ferret food increases lean muscle
tissue which is an improvement for the ferret, in my opinion.

My insulinoma ferrets do better with a high protein ratio and generally
need less dex(steroid) thus reducing the weight and size of the belly
and improves their activity level.

Dooks and War Dances,
Leizann Michele Engelke
349 Oakcrest Dr.