Date:
Tue, 4 May 1999 13:44:41 EDT
Just wanted to let you know that Jasmine acts like she feels a bit better.
I started her on treatment for ulcers last Thursday.  She is also on a
low dose of pred.  She still won't eat or drink anything, but she is more
active and interested in what is going on around her, as well as wanting to
be around the other ferrets again.  This is certainly a positive sign and
encouraging, I just wish she would eat something!!  In the meantime, I am
continuing to syringe feed her Chicken Gravy throughout the day.  Poor
thing -- everytime I come near her, its to shove something in her mouth it
seems like, between the five medications and the feedings.

I do have a question: When she had her stroke-like event a couple of weeks
ago, I had noticed a small red spot on her right side, a little in front
of her back leg.  I had pointed out to the vet at the time, but he had no
idea what it was and didn't really think it was related to what she was
experiencing.  It gradually faded over time, but was faintly visible, until
last night, when it appeared bright red again.  Most of it appears to be
bleeding under the skin, kind of like a blood blister, or a very severe
pinch.  I checked her a gain this a.m.  and it seemed a bit wider in
diameter, though not much if actually at all.  It still looked bright red
this morning, like fresh bleeding, however later was darker.  It is all
under the skin except for the very center which appears slightly raised.
It doesn't seem painful at all to her, though I did see her scratching in
the general area once.  Now it is very obvious because she hasn't regrown
any hair in this area yet.  A couple of my other guys have had mast cell
tumors, but since they have thick fur, they aren't this obvious.  Could
this be it?  Any other ideas?  Since the last time I saw it was right
before she got so sick, its really freaking me out to see it again, but so
far she still acts fine.

Thanks for any thoughts you may have,
Lucie

                        @-"-@