From:
Michele Paulhus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Apr 2009 12:11:52 -0400
Hello ferret folk,

No--we should not "expand the definition as it applies to the domestic
ferret as an omnivore" because a ferret is NOT an omnivore--they are
obligate carnivores. Although ferrets have been domesticated for
thousands of years--physiologically, they have evolved very little. The
anatomy of their digestive tract is that of a carnivore NOT an omnivore
and suggesting otherwise is dangerous and irresponsible The concept
that a new ferret owner might be reading some of these posts and decide
that it's healthy to feed fruits, vegetables and grains as a staple of
a ferret's diet is highly disturbing to me. An obligate carnivore is
one that must eat meat to survive--their bodies are physiologically
incapable of processing vegetable matter.

>"Ferrets should never be fed carbohydrates (such as vegetable, fruit
>or grains) as the main source of energy in the diet. Ferrets cannot
>digest fiber, as is found in some vegetable and fruit sources. If
>there is a significant amount of fiber in the diet it serves to lower
>the nutritional value of the food. As mentioned, ferrets need a highly
>digestible meat-based protein in the diet. Vegetable protein is poorly
>utilized. In the presence of excess vegetable protein the ferret can
>suffer from such diseases as bladder stones, poor coat and skin
>quality, eosinophilic gastroenteritis (wasting, diarrhea, ulcerations
>of the skin and ear tips and swollen feet) poor growth of kits and
>decreased reproduction"
>*Rethinking the Ferret Diet, Susan Brown, DVM*

>"It is important to point out that ferrets do a poor job of digesting
>fiber. Since they are obligate carnivores and are unlike most animals,
>they have a very short digestive tract and lack a caecum, which helps
>digest fiber. Ferrets also have a large intestine that is very
>inefficient at nutrient and water reabsorption, which further
>decreases the utilization of fiber and other nutrients as well."
>Nutrition & Your Pet Ferret, Thomas R. Willard, Ph.D, Animal Nutrition

>"The five groups of nutrients that all animals require are proteins,
>fats, carbohydrates, vitamins, and minerals. Fatty acids are the
>structural units of fats, and amino acids are the structural units
>of proteins. Ferrets require a fatty acid (arachidonic acid) and two
>amino acids (arginine and taurine) that are not found in sufficient
>quantities in any plant material. A ferret is therefore an obligate
>carnivore. "
>* **Basic ****Ferret Feeding and Nutrition, Judith A Bell,
>D.V.M, Ph.D *

>"Grain and fiber ingredients should be at a minimum in all good
>quality ferret diets. The natural diet of the ferret probably
>contained minimal levels of these items. Ferrets have a shorter
>digestive tract than the cat and are probably best maintained on diets
>that are typically lower in carbohydrates than are contained in most
>cat or kitten foods. One reference has suggested that ferrets may be
>maintained without carbohydrates if sufficient fat is present"
>"Ferrets do not have a dietary requirementfor fiber, and most authors
>feel that they do better with little or none" *Clinical Ferret
>Nutrition, Louise Bauck BSc, DVM,MVSc*

As mentioned before, the anatomy of a ferret is ill equipped to handle
nutritional processing as an omnivore. Even if there is no immediate
harm, unneeded elements in a ferret's diet, will decrease the the
nutritional value that they require to thrive long term.

Thanks,
Michele Paulhus

--
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the
sun is out, but when the darkness sets in their true beauty is revealed