From:
"David J. Ellis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Mar 1996 17:16:07 -0500
>"werku, tecola" <[log in to unmask]> asks:
>... Would you let them go unvaccinated or would you you use what is
>available?  ...

I speak only as a _USER_ of vetinary services.  What I expect of any vet who
treats an animal that I'm responsible for is that they use _THEIR_ best
judgement with the animals interests in mind.  As an owner I'm less
concerned whether a treatment has received the official blessing of a
government agency than I am regarding whether it is accepted as appropriate
by prevailing medical opinion.  Obviously this basic premise should be
tempered by procedures that are strictly illegal and by concerns of
malpractice due to ignorance of relevant information that should have been
known.

None the less, as an owner I would find it very hard to fault a vet who had
acted in good faith, from good information, even if the expected outcome had
not been as hoped for.

For example, if I were a ferret owner in Osaka and was told Fervac was not
available but that Brand X was available _AND_ that the vets experience
and knowledge was that it would be safe and probably effective in ferrets,
I would agree to its use and share responsibility for any adverse
consequences.