From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 17:12:08 -0500
http://www.smartgroups.com/message/readmessage.cfm?gid=1423922&messageid=3582

Author wrote:
>I'm usualy asking about my Ernestine but this time it's Jesse.  Ok we
>were out of electric for 12 after a ice storm hit so we had to use a
>kerosene heater well I tryed to keep them covered and away from the
>fumes so they wouldn't get sick well after we got our electric back on
>it was the same night Jesse started coughing so I took him on the 4th
>to see the vet she gave him AMX Drops, she said his heart and lungs
>sounded good but incase of infection starting she gave the meds.  well
>he coughed that night then on the 7th and then again on the 10th but on
>the 4th and 7th he coughed in the early morning and got me up but he
>only got me up once coughing those nights and on the 10 in the weeeee
>hrs of the morning he got me up twice with the coughing.
>
>what can I do for him hes the only one out of 6 thats coughing?  I have
>to call the vet tomarrow about what else to do But I can use some help
>so I can give her some other ideas.  Thank you

Well, this pattern is a bit unusual - very intermittent coughing..
Even though the heart and lungs sound good, I have been fooled many
times by good sounds but when you take an X-ray, the chest looks
terrible.  Probably always a good idea to get a radiograph of the
chest of a coughing animal.  Heart disease is by far the most common
cause of coughing in ferrets.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM