From:
"Donna L. Carlsen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Dec 1998 22:43:23 EST
I haven't been reading the FML for quite a long time. The reason...I run a
shelter. SOLO.

I just caught up on a week's worth, and I was especially interested in the
problems with shelters.

I did not realize the work that went into running a shelter.  It is a very
difficult endeavor for one to take on.  However, it is most rewarding.  The
problem with having folks help out is that most of us run these shelters
out of our homes, and it is hard to accept strangers in, for any reason.
Another problem is that most shelters idea of cage cleaning is taking the
cages outside and hosing them down.  (I have witnessed this practice) I do
not do that.  I scrub them with soap and water and THEN hose them down.
Most folks will do it once, then when they realize the work involved, will
not come back again.

I have taken care of ferrets for seven years, with the shelter being in
operation for two.  I have taken care of them while I was seriously ill,
and even a day after having hernia surgery.  (PAINFUL!) Their potties were
cleaned, blankets changed, water, food, etc.  and they had a fun play time,
and even got goodies.  My ferrets are very happy here, as they get a lot of
love and attention.  We do things here with and for our ferrets that no
other shelter does.

I feel in order to provide for the ferrets, you need to have 24 hours a day.
That is okay, but you also have to have a "real" job to support not only
yourself but the shelter.  I currently work, but there is someone here
during the day to watch over the ferrets.

As far as support for shelters, in my case the only support I really need
is financial, and it is non-existent.  I have a sponsorship program still
in effect, but two of the five sponsor ferrets passed on this year.  I am
still trying to deal with that.  I have products for sale, both for the
ferret and the owner, but without funds to advertise the sales part is very
slow.  As far as the adoption process goes, you might say that I am very
strict as well.  I do not adopt to anyone under the age of 18.  However, I
have adopted to children upon meeting the parents and the children.  There
is always exceptions to any rule.  I do not do a financial background
check, but I do suggest that folks come over to visit the shelter.  I
recommend you do that no matter what type of animal you are looking for.
Often it takes a few visits and phone calls before they are able to take a
ferret home.  You have to have a set of rule to follow, and as the operator
of the shelter it is your prerogative to change those rules.  I will never
deny a ferret the chance at a good life.  All I ask is that you show me
that you care.

I have suffered illness, job loss, car breakdown, family feuding, and death
this year.  But I have still come out on top, ready to take on the next
challenge.

I love my ferrets very dearly, every single one that comes to me. Everything I
do is for them. I cry for them, I give them everything they could possibly
need and more. They have all been precious gifts to me, and I appreciate every
single one of them. I sit here alone and write this, and yet I am not alone. I
am surrounded by sleepy, happy little ferret heads who had a good day, got a
cage cleaning, and had a love that I am sure they haven't had enough of.
It is very hard to run a shelter. But it is not hard to be clean, courteous,
and have a level head. If you truly love your ferrets, you will go the extra
mile for them. I do every day, and I never get tired of them.
I think of every one of them as a gift.
Donna L. Carlsen
Angel Ferret Shelter, Inc.