Date:
Fri, 1 May 1998 20:45:37 -0700
Hello all, I am not new to the list but I have never posted although there
were several times I wish I had.  But I do wish to make a quick point.  I
have a son who is severely Ill with congenital heart disease, he has had 3
open heart surgeries so far and he is only 2 years old.  One of the defects
is that he was born with a missing heart valve.  In his first 2 surgeries
he received a donor valve from a baby who had passed on, but, in his third
he received a pig valve because his body had rejected both donor valves.
My son is my pride and joy, the love of my life and I guess you could even
say he is my life.  (some of you may already see where this is going)
Without animal research My son might not be with me today to make me
understand just how wonderful life can be.

I read another poster's story about medical students practicing on ferrets.
My son has been intabated several times so far and I've always taken it for
granted.  I can also honestly say I never thought about how they knew to
use a pig valve.  But when the subject of Animal testing came up earlier
I immediately had very strongly mixed feelings as I also am owned by 4
ferrets who I have been known to stay awake worrying about when their stool
wasn't just right....he he he.  But after reading others posts on the
subject I had to silently thank the animals who lost their lives in
research so that the medical community could have the resources and
knowledge they have today.  I have to say I have cried my way through
many a posts of people with sick or passed fuzzies so please don't think
this post insensitive of me and please don't write hateful e-mails to me,
If you don't agree with my view, We can just agree to disagree.  but I
wanted people to see this topic from a mothers view.

On a much happier note My son has benifited from our fuzzies so much.  Eric
(that's his name) is in a wheelchair after a stroke that happened during a
surgery.  The fuzzies crawl up on his lap and he pets them soooo gentle and
they kiss on him and one even fetches a little wiffle type ball for him.
He laughs so hard at them sometime I think he may fall right out of his
chair.  he he he.  We were truly blessed when we bought our ferrets on an
impulse buy... ((Yes we were one of the ferret ignorant that thought they
were cute and wanted one)) but it all turned out for the best and we have
learned so much on this list.  If anyone is interested in my sons story,
we would love for you to visit his site at
http://ericsheart.homestead.com/brave.html.
You can also see our fuzzies there.

Thank you so much to listening to my ramblings I didn't intend to go on
and on like this.