From:
Suzanne Ciftan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 16:51:15 -0500
Hello All!

Ginger my 2 yr old female ferret was diagnosed with gastritis.  But she is
doing much better now that she is taking Amoxicillin and another antibiotic.
She was not eating solid food for awhile, but I managed to keep her fluids
up.  Ginger has been on the combination therapy for a few days now, and she
is feeling and eating much better.  Here are some ideas which helped with
Ginger's appetite.( This is in response to Chipper, Shari's furry one.)

1) Pedialyte: unflavored.  Ginger would not drink this until it was chilled
in the refrig.

2) Duck soup: Prosorbee (milk-free, lactose-free baby formula) mixed with
Shepard adn Greenes ferret food.  This was not tasty until ferret treats
were crumbled into the mixture.  NOw, she will drink the liquid without
ferret treats added, but this must also be chilled.  Chilled liquid probably
feels good to a sore stomach and also doesn't have as much flavor.

3) Pepto- OH NO: This she flat out refused.  Unfortunately, the bismuth,
which is also an antibacterial, is not found in other drugs.  So, we have
settled for cherry flavored Mylanta- a compromise.

4)Fluids: This sounds weird, and Ginger is that, but I have a unique method
of admistering fluids.... This is easy and we have done this as a 'treat'
for at least a yr.  Put water in a spray bottle and hold the nozzle up to
the moouth.  Then just squirt.  Ginger's drinking and my squirting can be
timed so that she doesn't dribble.  She absolutely loves this.  THis was
useful for preventing dehydration in the last weeks.  Also, for dehydration:
make a pool of water in a basin.  Ginger loves to drink and play in this.

Good luck
suzie