Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 1997 21:10:00 -0400
I reserve the right to the following opinion, just as some on this list
reserve the right to post for new owners for their unwanted pets.
DISCLAIMER: My original post on this subject was directed to no one in
particular.  Warning: this may be perceived as preachy to some, but...

Every week, I receive some type of literature in the mail which reminds me
that hundreds of thousands of unwanted cats and dogs are euthanized every
year.  I believe that the responsibility for this lies strictly with us
humans.  I know that my responsibility/accountability-as-a-pet- owner
*stance* does not win any popularity contests.  But I accept that and stick
by it.  I did not personally have any pets for over 10+ years awhile back
because I could not afford the time or the money having a pet would've
required.  Having another living being be totally dependent on you is
something that no one should go into without much thought and planning.
But we all know all too well that it happens many times, every day.

I grant you that once we have dependents there will be times of crisis and
dire straights.  Things happen that we cannot plan for or foresee, no how,
no way.  And we must take whatever actions necessary, albeit not always
pleasant ones, to correct these untimely situations.  But we, as logical,
large-brained, humans should never take for granted our continuous
responsibilty towards ANY life on this planet, be it human, fauna, or flora.

If there was ever a great place to find a loving home for a ferret, the FML
is that special place.  And I hope those in crisis continue to do so.  But I
challenge us to let us make the FML a place where finding a home for your
unwanted pet the EXCEPTION rather than the rule!  Many shelters are full or
nearly so.  Maybe those of us who think about giving up our ferrets can
re-evaluate our options and deal with our crises in a different way and
ultimately, keep our fuzzies!  Let us ferret owners rise above and keep the
FMLs focus on the care, concerns, and antics of our pets, along with finding
special homes or assistance for the little sheltered, rescued or needy ones.

I am not a *PETA* member or a fanatic.  I am just an animal lover,
particularly when it comes to fuzzbutts.

Sincerely,
Suzanne