From:
Bob Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 1997 08:55:04 -0500
>Re:    Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferrets and Medical Issues
>... There was a post awhile back from a vet tech asking individuals that
>didn't have medical degrees not to second guess veterinarians.

Vets should have rank insignia tatooed on their foreheads.

AAA     Knows ferrets, has experience, caring, shares knowledge with others.

AA    Knows ferrets, has experience, caring.

A     Knows a little ferret, seeks more knowledge, enlists aid.

B     Doesn't know diddly squat, admits it, talks to AAA a lot.

XXX   Doesn't know diddle squat, but SWEARS he does, and will not speak
      with AAA or his own clients.  Thanks to XXX, I have a few extra little
      markers in the back woods by the creek.  Actually, the skull and
      crossed bones would be an appropriate insignia.  Office is often
      marked with a life sized horse statue, business name often has the
      word EMERGENCY in it.

In my 15 years, (luckily with few really sick ferrets) I have known all
those kinds of vets.  The most wise of all of them acquired a lot of
knowledge from the very shelter moms (and pops) who <shouldn't> give advice.
How very fortunate for the ferrets.

We have been very fortunate to have some of those AAA vets here on the fml
with us.  I pray none of you ever meets an XXX.

Bob