Date:
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 04:39:06 -0800
Shirley wrote:
>Ferrets are OK to take to private family gatherings but not to public
>ones. :D

From my experience, I agree with this.  I once took my ferrets to a family
reunion in my hometown, 5 hours away from where I lived at the time.  The
ferrets and I had spent the weekend at my Mom's house, then we went to the
reunion as our last activity before heading home.

For the most part, everyone that met the ferrets was curious and had a
positive attitude towards them.  However, one of my aunts (who has always
been a major thorn in the butt of humanity) saw Potter (Dark-Eyed White)
and SCREAMED and RAN AWAY... drawing major negative attention to Potter.
My aunt acted like a majorly big baby and sat in her car for quite a while
after being "traumatized" by seeing the "rat-like" ferret.  My 90-year old
grandfather said, "don't worry about her, she doesn't have a clue how much
your ferrets mean to you.  It's her loss." Not too long after, it was time
for me to head home anyway.  After that, I will probably not take the
ferrets to large family outings.

I've noticed that people are more receptive to ferrets when I take a sable
out in public versus a DEW.  I don't know if the whites remind them of
rats or what the big deal is, but the sables always seem to be more
welcome.  (I don't even understand why people have such aversion to rats,
either.)

Vicky Edinger
Ebay Coordinator
Rocky's Ferret Rescue & Shelter