From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Aug 1998 12:00:28 -0400
Sorry, we don't have a working medicine routine.  Wish we did.  (HAS ANYONE
ELSE OUT THERE WITH ANY OF THE WEIRD NEW (?) ILLNESS(ES) FOUND ANY?) What
we have found is a combination which gets Spot to eat despite the mouth
sores.  The key is cake.  Yes, in this case let them eat cake.  (We'll
hope that you've had the luck Steve and I have had.) We had some blueberry
muffins and for the first time since getting sick Spot showed STRONG
interest in a given food, not only that, but once he'd eatten some muffin
he tackled his soup of AD, Nutical and water.  Since then he had slight
back-slide so we went and got pound cake which is fatter, and YES -- if he
also has cake he eats MORE of his nutritious food than he ate without the
cake!!!!!!!!  He willingly dug into his AD soup today despite having had a
bad mouth bleed last night.  The cake seems to soften well enough that it
doesn't aggravate his sores the majority of the time, BTW, though he has
bled maybe two or three times, but not badly with that.  You want a REALLY
soft cake with lots of fat.  That seems to work best.  He's still not taking
softened and mushed crunchies; hope he eventually gets back to being able
to tackle those.