Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 2009 09:02:00 -0400
Sorry guys for not being so clear about what the protocol is used in
vet school for ulcers and to what I have used in the past on my ferrets
with ulcers. There are several medications that would be prescribed
for ferrets with ulcers. These medications can be compounded at local
pharmacies or maybe your vet can do this in their pharmacy.

Tagament (Cimetidine): given BID or TID (2-3x a day) PO, IM, IV, SC
Tylan (Tylosin) -chronic ulcers : given SID or BID, PO
Pepcid (Famotidine): given SID or BID, PO
Prolosec: given SID or BID, PO
Zantac (Ranitidine): given BID or TID, PO

OKAY THE ONE TYPE OF COMBO THAT MOST VETS USE AND WHAT IS IN ALL
FERRET DOCUMENTATION AND BOOKS IS:
Metronidazole (Flagyl), Amoxi and Pepo Bismol --Carafate can be
substituted for the Pepto. Regiment is Amoxi and Carafate wait 30
minutes then the Metronidazole (we hate this drug because of the
neurological side effects--I had one ferret Honey who this happened
to and it is not a pretty sight, due to this I yanked her off of it
and placed her on another medication-Biaxin)

Biaxin (Clarithromycin): given SID, PO for 2 weeks

My first question for you is what color is the stools? Black and tarry?

****The Combination that we tend to like the best and works fairly well
is ****

Carafate wait 30-1 hr then the Biaxin. Carafate is given TID-QID. The
Biaxin is a antibiotic, therefore Amoxi is not used. Biaxin is also
fairly expensive BUT worth the expensive because studies have shown
that 5/6 ferrets with this treatment became better within 14 days.

As for the other medications listed above that mixture is Amoxi and
Tagament, or Tylan (NEVER HAVE USED SO ?), or Pepcid, or Prolosec, or
Zantac

If you have any questions please let me know or contact your vet and
ask them about these other medications. As many of you know you can get
all the medications above except the Tylan, OTC. Otherwise, it tends to
be cheaper if the medications above are compounded because these are
broken down into your ferrets body weight, length of time and so forth.

Sincerely,
Kris Church LVT and vet school student