From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 May 1997 08:23:12 -0400
**The advice dispensed by myself in reference to FML postings is not meant
to supplant the advice of veterinarians who are in charge of the patient.
If the patient is not currently under the care of a veterinarian, the client
is recommended to take their ferret to one.**

>From:    Blaine <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferrets and Scabies
>Recently a friend stayed the night at my home that was infected with
>scabies

Ferrets typically get itchy skin, hair loss, and maybe small red spots.

>From:    Wiggly-Worm-Oop! <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: DEEP WOODS OFF
>I fear taking my ferret outside because of fleas and mosquitos.  I live in a
>dorm (SHHH!!  Don't tell anyone here this!) with a ferret and it's virtually
>unfathomable for her to get fleas because I won't be able to rid the place

No, don't use Deep Woods OFF. It can be toxic to small mammals.

>From:    Zebe <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: questions about:pathvalley, food, shots
>When I get my ferrets they will DEFINETLY get their distemper shots-don't
>worry-but should they get a rabies vaccine or any other shots I should be
>aware of?  (they will be indoor ferrets mostly, I live in a apt.)

Yes, get the Rabies Vaccine.  It might protect your ferret legally in case
s/he bites someone.

>From:    Drool Monkey <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferret Health Question

Licorice can cause an obstruction.  It is best left alone.  Swollen vulvas
can be a sign of adrenal disease, but that would be uncommon in a 7 month
old.  I would think either the ferret is not spayed and going into heat or
if spayed, has a remnant of estrogen producing ovarian tissue left.  A blood
test can differeniate between adrenal disease and ovarian tissue.

>From:    Debbie Blackner <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Is vets recommendation correct?

Adrenal disease would be top of the list.  The best treatment approach to
adrenal disease is surgery and the chance of anesthestic death is very,
very, very slight (more of a human phobia as opposed to reality).  If you
want to make sure, run the University of Tennessee blood test.  Other
possibilities include: skin infection or scabies, but I would put these low
on the list of possibilities.

>From:    tjohnso1 <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Vet questions
>Dr. Dutton, thanks for your reply, it was most comforting.  Santino
>continues to be on the mend.  He is pooping and eating normally, and his
>activity level seems to be back to almost normal.  However, he still has a
>balance prob.  I pulled a chunk of "stuff" out of his ears last night.  I
>have been using Ferrets Finest Soothing Herbal Clean Ear Wash and Deoderizer

Ear mites result in a dirty waxy discharge and itchy ears.  You would not
see bug bites.  The itch is from an allergic type reaction and inflammation.
Normal rectal ferret temperature is 101 to 103 degrees F.  I would think
your thermometer is off since ferrets at 105 degrees act really sick.

Mike Dutton, DVM, DABVP
Weare Animal Hospital
Weare, NH, USA