From:
Donette Steele <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Oct 1997 08:18:13 -0700
Hello again,

I just wanted to get back to everyone on the explanation of the different
ways vets use to put our pets to sleep.  I asked my vet why an injection
right into the heart is used.  He didn't have a great answer.  I was told it
was the way it was taught to him in school and that is just the way it is
usually done.  I could tell he was uncomfortable talking about it and he
didn't elaborate on his answer.  When I asked again he became short with me-
I think that this method is hidden from the public and he wasn't proud of it.

I talked to his assistant, we have become friends of a sort, and she was
much more frank about the situation.  She said it was an easier way for a
busy office to handle such requests.  An injection to the heart usually
produces instant results and there is no need to keep checking on the animal
to see if the sedative is working.  Bottom line it takes more time and
effort to give an overdose even if it is a gentler method to see an animal
off.  There is also the question of expense- an injection of sedative in an
animal is more expensive because the quantity of the drug is larger.  Time
to check on the animal is also considered an expense.  Also the larger the
animal the greater the cost.  She thought it was used with all animals
because (even if they are small) of the cost and time involved.  She said
ultimately a vet is a business and the crueler way is the most cost
efficient.

So it is like health care with humans.  You get the kind of care you demand
anymore.  Insurance companies in dealing with expensive treatment sometimes
delay approval of payment.  Why- they are probably hoping we die- it is much
cheaper for them that way.  Life is cheap anymore- and animal life is
probably considered much more expendable than human life.  Costs mean more
than you or I or our beloved ferrets.  So it is up to us to monitor what
happens to our ferts- as we are footing the bill and there is no need to
compromise on how we want a procedure done.  Just stay with your love bug to
make sure your request is carried out the way you want it.

This is why I found out what happens and how I have changed my ways.  I had
a very sick rabbit many years ago and she had to be put to sleep.  I went to
the vet and couldn't handle staying with my pet when they put her to sleep-
I wasn't there for her.  The vet explained that she would be given an
injection and she would die of an overdose in around ten minutes or so.  I
turned to leave and walked out the front door.  I instantly changed my mind
and turned to go back in- I had to knock as the door locked as they were
closing.  The door opened and this took around 30 seconds to occur.  I
walked in and said I wanted to stay with her while the injection took
effect.  The vet said it wasn't possible.  I insisted.  He said she was
already dead- I said it had only been a couple of minutes and I wanted her
brought to me.  He did only after I again demanded.  She was dead and had
blood on her chest.  I took her and left.  It looked as though she had been
injected more than once.  I was really upset and then looked into the way
pets are put down.  I was appalled.  I sued the vet and lost but he had to
come to small claims court twice - maybe it would have been more cost
effective to follow my request.  I am not saying all vets would do something
against your wishes if you aren't there but some will.  I would rather be
there in this case rather than trust the last moments of my little boy to
someone else who doesn't love him like I do.  I felt guilty about Honey Buns
death and vowed I would never let any pet face this alone and I never will.

I will always accompany them on their final journey and love and hold them
dear until they go.

Love to all,
Donette and John
Scooty2