Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 26 Aug 1994 12:48:00 CDT
For anyone interested in the Domestic Ferret Informational Materials
book - it contains info on rabies in ferrets, the rabies vaccine,
domestication info, veterinarians letters (I can still use more), and
a misc section that includes Dr. Browns contribution along with a list
of ferret books and journal articles.  The copying cost is 5.10 and
postage is 2.90 for a total of $8.00.  Checks can be made out to:
Ferret Family Services and our address is PO Box 186, Manhattan, KS
66502-0002.

As far as the shedding studies - I get more frustrated every day.  Ferret
medicine is so lacking on necessary studies and equipment it seems
foolish to waste time and money on unwarranted studies.  As I deal with
a lot of sick ferrets, I do get quite upset when we reach a point where
no one knows what is wrong or even has necessary equipment to make a
proper diagnosis.  While we all want to believe that the shedding studies
are an answer to our prayers, we must face the reality that they are not.
Perhaps if the "officials" would listen to facts instead of fiction and
misinformation, we would not need them at all.  If these studies and the
same criteria were required on other companion pets and if there was an
actual problem of rabies in ferrets it would be different.  The more I
learn about the issue (and I do learn more all the time), the more
frustrated and angry I get.  The data speaks for itself - A human is
more likely to contract rabies from ingestion (believe it or not, it has
been documented), blood transfusion, organ transplant, or bite from other
types of companion pets, livestock, and wildlife, or inhalation than
from a ferret bite.  Do you know why I say that?  Because all of the
above has happened, but there has never been a ferret to human transmission
of rabies.

Hugs to all!  (oh and Vixen is still the same)  tle