From:
Deborah Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 09:45:14 PDT
Howdy!

Since we got our two ferrets from my sister almost 2 weeks ago, we have had
many firsts.  Last Saturday we had our first vet visit and distemper shot.

When we arrived at the vet the receptionist announced that we were there
to vaccinate our two RATS against distemper!!!!  We have only been to this
vet once for sick rats and the receptionist forgot to make a ferret chart
for us.

After telling about how Patch seems so skinny and has been trembling alot
lately, the vet did a glucose test and discovered that poor little Patch
had a glucose level of 55 mg/dl (normal fasting level is 90-120 according
to the vet).  So, it seems that we just got our ferrets and Patch decides
to get insulinoma on us...he's always is a trouble maker!  He hates his
peppermint-flavored prednisone, so we hide the medicine in a treat.

Yesterday both ferrets had their first baths by us and I trimmed their
nails for the first time.  Boy I sure was scared about cutting too far!
Last night I had several dreams about ferrets with bleeding nails!
Hopefully I will get more used to this.

And, a friend reminded me last night that there were two ferret stars in
the movie "Beastmaster" starring Marc Singer.  Now I think I will rent that
movie again to check out the ferrets (i have seen the movie many times when
I was younger, but it didn't sink in that the ferrets were DOMESTIC
ferrets).

Anyways, gotta go!

Deb Adams