Date:
Wed, 16 Jun 2004 07:19:26 -0400
>From:    Elizabeth <[log in to unmask]>
>I would just like to give a collective thanks to all who responded to my
>query about cats and ferrets being able to live in harmony.  Happily, I
>got more positive responses than negative ones.  However, I just spoke to
>the breeder today and she says she would not be able to not "worry" about
>the kitten living with the ferrets so has decided not to let me have him.

That's disappointing for sure.  Please know (I'm sure you do) that there
are a lot of kittens out there who need homes, and you will eventually
find one.

Just as further reassurance, I got my second cat, Claude, when he was
about 9 weeks old, and I did let him play with my ferrets, supervised of
course, and he had no problems with them.  He would chase and roll and
tumble around with them.  At times I would even find him in their cage.
He would occasionally burrow under the afghans on my couch as if he were
a ferret.  As he got older, he got less tolerant of their antics, but he
would just jump up on a table or chair and watch them.  Unless you have
particularly aggressive ferrets, I don't think a 12 week old cat would
be in any danger.  Cats are predators too (this breeder has apparently
forgotten that).  If my ferrets got a little too rough, Claude would
just squawk and jump up on something to take a break.  But he was soon
back down playing.

It all depends on the personalities of the individual cats and ferrets.

Good luck on your search for the right kitten.

Karen
No greater love than this
That You should lay down Your life
For someone such as me
I'd spend a lifetime wondering why
The beauty of heaven is here in my heart
And I know there can be no greater love
Than this
                                -- Rachel Lampa
If you love ferrets, check out: