From:
"Bryan H. Hall" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Oct 1996 23:30:06 -0500
This will most likely be my last post to the FML.  I no longer feel fit to
keep such august company, as I am now no better than Mr. Friend, whom the
Fredonia fuzzies survived.

Allow me to explain.  Tonight, I had the cloth pile on my lap, and my two
were settling down for the night in my lap (before I moved them to the
cage).  In a nutshell, I gave all three ferrets some ferretone.  My two were
curling up, and the white fuzzie was walking past me.  I picked him up as
usual, but he bit me harder than he ever has before, burying his teeth in my
finger to the gumline, puncturing the small muscle or tendon there.  I could
not get him to let go... and I was very much afraid by the crunching noise
made when his teeth eiter ground against something, or crunched through some
cartilage.  He bit harder when scruffed with my other hand.  There was not
even enough space to wedge my other finger in his mouth to pull his jaws
apart.  It took me ten minutes to wedge my finger in his mouth, and several
more to pry his jaws apart.  He made another attempt to regain his bite, and
came damn close to getting it.  I flinched, and I am ashamed to say it, I
flung the ferret away from me.

Needless to say, I am not fit to continue rehabbing this ferret.  If there
is anoter FML'er in my area (Lakemoor Illinois) who can take him and undo
whatever damage I have wrought this night, please call Troy Lynn Eckhart at
913-456-8337.  BIG..  I have her direct permission to post that number.  The
ferret is fine, and after my panicked call to Tle, I even picked the littly
guy up without gloves (I couldn't find them) without incident.  He
graciously accepted some ferretone, and he went in the cage until tomorrow
when I get more gloves.  If anyone can help this guy, please call Tle.

I am deeply sorry to those who had sent me emails praising my patience,
love, and compassion for this ferret.  I have betrayed your trust, and this
is why I will not likely post ever again.  I must do some soul searching to
see if I am even fit to own ANY ferrets, let alone rescue ones.  I have
betrayed the little bit of trust the fert had developed for me.  I have
broken the trust you folks had in me.  So now I hang my head in shame, and
take my place in line right behind Mr. Friend.  We shall both someday have
our turn in the cage.

Good luck, and heartfelt prayers for those who have lost a ferret, whose
ferrets are ill, those in a FFZ, and all those who love ferrets.

Farewell, (maybe someday I will feel able to post, but that is likely a LONG
ways away)

   Bryan Hall