From:
Maria Osburn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 09:12:37 -0500
I am a mail carrier in Ft. Lauderdale.  Around Thanksgiving, another
carrier told me there was a ferret in a cage on the front porch that
needed attention.  There was no water or food in cage and ferret was
skinny.  First I gave the carrier some cat food to throw in the cage (I
keep in my satchel for feral cats on my route) and a small container for
water.  Then ask the people if I can take him.  I would try and find this
guy a home.  The people told him it belonged to a family member that went
on vacation and never returned to claim this ferret.  They had no clue
as to what to do, so they did nothing.  He took it that moment and put
it in his truck and came back to the station.  I was shocked to see such
a skinny little guy.  His head was out of proportion to his body, for he
was all bones.  Some feces stuck to the bottom of his feet and urine
burns, due to no litter box.  Just a nasty bottom cage.  Cleaned him up,
gave him some ferret soup and medical attention immediately.  Vet did a
complete work-up and was surprised to find a basicly healthy ferret,
except for his mal-nutrition.  This guy ate for days like it was his last
meal.  Filled out beautifully.  Found a loving couple locally who wanted
to try and raise this guy.  Understanding that if things did not work
out, I would get him back, I adopted him to this couple who babied him
for the start.  They really loved him, but did not understand ferret
needs.  I gave them Ferret for Dummies to read and my phone number.  I
got a call last week that things were not working out.  Loading him back
in my car, the woman actually cried and wished things could have been
different.  SO, the reason for this e-mail is if anyone is interested in
adopting this young guy whom she named Chance, please contact me via
e-mail or phone (954-979-8893).  A forever home is really wanted for I
know he has been shuffled around.  Approximately a year old and could
give the energizer bunny competition.  Bounces and plays endlessly.
Classic sable in color.

Around the same time, a carrier in another station told me about another
ferret abandoned in a different part of town, but she is a special needs
girl and I am working with my vet to try and help her.  Another long
story.......

I would keep him myself but right now is not a good time for me.
Please, if you can find it in your heart and wallet to adopt another,
please contact me.

Mary