From:
Carol Voivedich Rager <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 May 2005 12:26:27 -0500
On April the 11th I brought Loki and Marley in for a check up with the
vet because I thought I felt masses in their abdomens.  Loki's spleen
was removed on the 13th with a mass inside it that stretched out 6
inches.  He is fine now and back to his bad self.

Marley also had two masses inside his abdomen but we could not operate
because his back was hurt during the x-ray process.  He had feeling in
his back legs but his back could not support him.  For three weeks we
tried steroid injections and steroids by mouth.  I was fine with a
handicapped ferret as long as Marley was not in pain.  I rearranged my
bedroom for him and for awhile he was ok.  The medicine started really
hurting his stomach and the vet prescribed medicine for the pain, but
Marley hated it.  Marley slowly started to resist me hand feeding him
because of the pain in his stomach.

Marley came to me in February of 2003 from a post I read on the FML about
a very wonderful ferret mom of four that had to give up her ferrets due
to allergies.  This wonderful mom drove five hours to interview me and my
husband before I met her babies.  Lindsey and her parent's drove two
SUV's the following week end to my house and delivered Marley Bug, Loki,
Lexi and little Jill to me.  It was very emotional for Lindsey and her
family to give up her babies, but that were very comfortable with the
placement.  From day one there was something different about Marley.  He
would snuggle up with you for hours, and really preferred to spend time
with me sleeping instead of playing with the other ferrets.  He was and
eye and ear kisser!!!  And was the one I would bring out to show everyone
who had not been around ferrets before.  He never bit not even when he
was playing.  Lindsey for the past two years has been back to see her
babies and still sends gifts to them.

On Monday May the 2nd I knew Marley was in pain and he let me know it
was alright to say good bye for now.  My husband and I had discussed how
we wanted Marley to be put to sleep with my vet the Friday before.  When
we arrived at Dr. Smith's office his staff brought us into the operating
room, but before we took him to the garden of flowers outside and let
him play in the dirt for a few minutes.  He loved the outside!  I held
Marley and told him how much he was loved by so many people and if more
ferrets were like him there would not be so many in shelters.  (I have
18 abused, neglected and unwanted ferrets)  I ask Marley to say hello to
the other ferrets that have passed away and that I would see him again.
We slipped the mask over his face and put him to sleep like he was going
to surgery.  He did not struggle and yawned a lot while I talked to him.
When he was completely out Dr. Smith gave him the heart stick while I
still held him.  I kissed him good bye and had him cremated.

I will forever be touched by this little angel and I will miss him for
the rest of my life.

Carol and Marc Rager

Missing: Marley Bug, Oscar ferret, Sweet Lilly, Bailey Boy, Elle Mae,
Duckie, Farrah, Jack and Jeffrey

Ferrets: Loki, Lexi, Little Jill, Big Jill, Pacey, Newman, Stewart,
Sherman, Dinks, Fritz, Callie, Ricki, Vincent, Samson, Spencer, Logan,
Baxter and Scottie

Sammy the dog

And the wanna be ferrets the cats Menew and Ruby Tues