From:
Kelly Sullivan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Aug 1998 21:00:06 EDT
>The worst of it has passed--last night, he vomited, had very runny and
>blackish diahrrea --we gave him some children's benadryl and made him stay
>in his cage.  this a.m.  he still didn't look so hot--did get out of the
>cage but was lethargic and his little paws and eyes were still red.  felt
>a bit warm.

I am hoping this isn't getting out there to late ( I am a couple days behind
on my reading).  I really wish the poster wouldn't have done so anonymously
because it would be nice to find out how the poor guy is doing.

The blackish diahreah and vomiting do NOT sound good and I am not sure
benedryl is the thing to do the trick.  It is imparative that you make sure
this guy is eating and drinking and if he is vomitting and has diahreah I
would be concerned that it is an intestinal virus like those that have been
going around lately.  You should definately take this guy to the vet.  Are
you sure that your vet is ferret knowledgeable?  Are you sure it was
benadryl your vet gave him and not sub-q fluids?  I can't remember if you
said he was given an injection or not and why your vet thought he was having
an alergic reaction.  I would give him some duck soup the reciepe I use is
simple enough, Soak some of his regular food in some water until mushy,
throw that in the blender and add a few squirts of ferretone, nutrical and
a jar of chicken baby food, (my guys don't like the beef) and mix it all
together, you can also add pet tinic and a can of hills a/d prescription
cat food that you can get through your vet.  add water until it is the
consistancy of broth and warm in the microwave until slightly above room
temperature.  You can freeze it in an ice cube tray overnight and then put
it into a plastic ziplock bag that you keep frozen for easy access in case
of an emergancy.  I try to give my guys some a couple times a week so
they'll get used to the taste and will be more likely to drink it if they
are sick thinking they are getting a treat.

Good Luck and let us know how the little guy is doing!!

Kelly & the Savvy Seven + Jake