From:
Lynn Mcintosh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 May 1997 15:36:09 -0700
>From:    Lisa Leidig <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Adrenals;food
>
>Adrenal ferrets: Kyle, the amazing Albino who had both of his adrenal glands
>removed in February, is doing very well, considering all of his other
>problems.  For a 3 year old ferret, he is sort of a mess, but he will stay
>with me for the rest of his life....
>The only thing about Kyle that I noticed that is different
>is that his coat grew back with a definite orange tint to it!  I assume it
>must have to do with the regrowth after adrenals, and possibly due to the
>complete removal of the glands, but it doesnt bother him, and I think it
>makes him even more unique!  Just remember, if ya ever come to visit me and
>I ask you to clean the albino ferrets ear, hold him over the sink!!!

Hi Lisa.  I'm curious if or how Kyle is being treated medically since the
removal of his adrenal glands?  I am part of an adrenal group list and one
of our strong concerns is care - what meds and to what detriment and/or
success - for bi-lateral adrenalectomy patients.  Is Kyle on any medication
and if so what, and how long has he been on the meds?  He certainly does
sound like a clever guy :D

Also, unless you say otherwise, I'd like to print your answer in the Adrenal
List.  The Adrenal List is open to everyone and comes 2-3 times per week
depending on subscribers (most adrenal patient(s) moms and dads) posts and
my schedule.  Of course urgent posts are sent out to the list immediately.
For more information or to be a part of the list write me,

Lynn McIntosh, at [log in to unmask]

>From:    Patricia Curtis <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Adrenal tumors...a mistake??
>Someone wrote:
>>I was a little curious since she had said his adrenals were OK 2 months ago
>>but people make mistakes and maybe she had just missed seeing something.

>It is quite likely that this vet did NOT make a mistake the first time.
>Adrenal tumors can advance quite rapidly.  I've seen a little girl here
>examined for adrenal tumors and pronounced "no tumors", then 6 weeks later
>go in for adrenal surgery because symptoms worsened and it was found that a
>tumor now exists and in fact, has grown so rapidly (a cancerous tumor) that
>all of it could not be removed.
>
>It is also quite possible for adrenal glands to show *no* abnormalities, yet
>contain a tumor inside of the gland.  This is very important to know.  Age
>is not necessarily a factor either.  A few weeks ago a pre-cancerous adrenal
>gland was removed from a *one-year-old* here!

For vets or others.  How common are quick growing tumors, or tumors
contained inside of a gland?  Our Percy's glands appeared quite normal last
November, but he is still showing signs of adrenal problems.

Any answers will be posted to the Adrenal List unless I'm requested that
they not be posted there.

Thank you very much!

Lynn and the Gang of 8 grand fuzzies.