From:
Kelly Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Dec 2002 14:22:34 -0900
I am fairly new as a student of FHL.  Have a question regarding an older
ferret we adopted several weeks ago...here are the basics:

Male
altered
no medical history-abandoned
appears to be about 6yrs(?) or older according to vet
cataracts
gum disease

When we brought him home he was under nourished and slightly dehydrated.
We have been feeding him "duck soup" daily (In addition to his kibble)and
adding pedialyte to his water (he won't touch it otherwise).  He has
perked up but is still under weight.  Our vet gave us amoxi-drops to
help with the gum troubles.  My big concern now is the staining after
urination...(to clarify from my earlier post- yellowing of fur in groin
area)...is this caused by urinary tract infection?  Is it a typical
occurrence with aging ferrets?  Our vet had no idea, but said that the
amoxi-drops would cover infection.  She is a great vet, but will be the
first one to admit that her knowledge of ferret care is limited (We
bought her the book by Fox as a reference).

Any ideas you might have as to the cause of the urine staining on
his underside and what treatment you would advise would be greatly
appreciated!  We want this old fellow to live in comfort during his
final years.  Thank you all in advance!  I have appreciated all that
I have learned in reading your posts for the past several months!

Sheila Kelly
(Adopted by: Raymond, Kenny, Snoopy, Ms. Bea Haven, May Hem, Wizard, and
Scooter)