From:
Nell Angelo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jan 2007 08:02:01 -0800
Hello Ferty Friends --

Here's something abt keeping ferrets outside in Norway (and the US).
It's an email exchange, so start at the ***bottom of this.*** (btw, I
made mistake in my last post -- the 20 degrees below in which these
Norwegian ferrets are fine is Celcius, not Farenheit.) [Permission
received from board moderator to repost here.]

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Thank you! It's great to have confirmation for what i have done -- I
got mine used to the cold weather by the lucky fact that their outdoor
environment was ready in the fall. Also, since they can come indoors at
will, I was able to stop keeping food for them outside once it started
to get cold -- I knew that would keep them in the habit of coming
indoors. Plus I decided to not maintain a truly comfortable place to
sleep outside -- so they wouldn't fall asleep out there and freeze in
their deep sleep.

But I think that they would have been fine, considering what you
say -- after all Norway has got to have colder winters than here on
the California-Oregon border of the US!

I have had no problems at all. In fact they go out at night on their
own, even when it is very late at night and cold.  They do get a
little lazy and stay inside more than I want them to in the daytime,
so I cart them all out to their pens. Having them out also lets me
clean their litter boxes in peace!

Once I take them out, they like it. Sometimes they immediately start
to dance around and have a great time. One afternoon I think it was
TOO cold for their little feet or something. All except the youngest
and the most energetic headed straight back in again. So I had lots of
company cleaning their pans. Ferrets in the pans, on my shoulders, in
the plastic bag that held the poop!