Date:
Tue, 19 May 1998 17:37:01 EDT
O.K., thanks to those of you who informed me that this was in fact a mink
and not a ferret.  I gave her to the conservation officer last night who was
going to give her to the rehabilitation person so that she can go to "mink
school" and learn how to be a proper mink.  I don't think that's going to be
very difficult for her though.  Initially when we would play, she wouldn't
bite, she would just mouth me.  Last night though, boy, she grabbed ahold
and would not let go, even when scruffed.  When she finally did let go, I
still had her in the scruff and she was *not* a happy mink--kicking and
hissing and chirping.

The conservation guy reassured my thoughts in that mama probably was not
around since these guys were covered in maggots and eggs and such.  Mamas
tend to take better care of their babies than that.  I don't feel bad in
"saving" them and I would do it all over again.  I just hope that she has a
relatively long and trouble free life out there in this ugly world.

When she left my house, she was as healthy as a horse, so she's got a good
start to her new life.  She's a strong little thing, surviving the loss of her
mama and sibling(s), and dealing with the stress of a new diet, new
surroundings, etc.  I think she will do fine as a mink (at least I like to
think that she will do fine).

Again, thanks for everyone's input.  Live and learn.

Sincerely,
Sandy