From:
"Debout, Sandra A" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2000 09:18:27 -0500
>From:    Pamala/Johan Mommens <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Declawing ... never ?
>I would like to hear your opinion about this.

Hi,
I would like to respond to the Declawing issue.  I am the Shelter Director
for WNYFLFA and in my 5 years with ferrets, I have only seen one ferret
that came to us declawed.  I do not know who the vet was and I am not sure
if the job was done wrong and caused the problem I am about to describe.

This little girl had her nail grow back in but they did not grow back where
they originally were.  Several grew side ways out the side of her little
toes and one even grew up and pointed straight up.  They are very difficult
to cut and they actually require a file or sanding with a tool to keep them
smooth so as not to dig into the toe along side of it.  She is very good
about having this done but I am sure it has added a lot of stress to her
life over the years.

I have had my cat declawed.  I know!  I know!  But she was scratching and
destroying my home.  Walls, furniture, woodwork, everything.  I had her for
nearly 2 years before I had it done.  Yes, she was tender for a few days
but now I just love & enjoy her and the 3 I have gotten since her.  The
point here is that cats claws do NOT grow back in.  It is a totally
different situation.

Sandy