Date:
Mon, 22 Sep 1997 23:24:49 CDT
Hello all,
I am constantly playing catch up with the list, so if anything here has been
answered or outdated, sorry.  Please mail any responses to
[log in to unmask] so we don't make it even harder for others to catch up.

First... Has anyone ever let their ferrets play with coconuts?  My husband
buys whole coconuts and Oliver, our 12 week old loves them.  He steals the
half shells from out of his laps.  Then he drags them across the floor and
up into his cubby.  It is a site, he also loves to eat pieces of the meat.

A question was posted about breeders in Iowa.  We bought Oliver one month
ago from a breeder here in Ames, Iowa for $25.  They have an amazing park
for the ferrets, (all 77 total) it is unbelievable!!!  I am not sure if they
sell to stores though.

FLEAS  We were attacked by fleas also.  We declared an all out war on
them.  Here is what worked for us, and what didn't.

- Raid Flea Bomb, no noticable effect
- Flea Stop Shampoo, knocked fleas out for about 10 mins, then they were
  hopping all around again.
- Hartz house spray, no noticeable effect, though one before it worked
  wonders.
- Hartz cat flea collars, yucky!!! but they came with the miracle product.
  In the box was a free sample of this liquid that you rubbed on the pets
  and it was amazing, though difficult to control application.

The other thing that we used was some off name dog spray.  I do know that I
am bad for using it, but I figured that the fleas were much more damaging.
When bathing with the shampoo the ferrets would bleed from the bites.  BTW,
for you dog owners, Hartz form of Advantage (only for dogs so far) DOES NOT
WORK, you will not save money over prescription drugs because it doesn;t
work!!!

I am concerned about possible effects from this invasion.  What about
Anemia.  How do we know if this has occured?

Our little one (12 weeks) keeps attacking our older one (2 years).  They
enjoy this play.  However, the other day I noticed some big scabs on our
older one's head.  Should I seperate them?

My main and final concern.  This has happened in both of our ferrets, at
different times.  We have found them, and believed them to be dead.  They
were completely limp and unconcious.  They were warm and had heartbeats
though.  We woke them up with water splashes.  Is this deep of sleep
possible from ferrets that wake up to follow me to the bathroom in the
middle of the night?

Ok, I must go, thank you for all of your time!!!!

The Barrett Zoo