From:
Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 1997 23:19:23 -0600
Q: (FML):Have female "ranch" mink, age < (less than) 1 year.

A: Are you sure it was lost?  Could it have been, well, stolen?  You know,
a mink stole?  He he he.  Ok,ok, sorry, but when this post was reFURRED to
me I couldn't help the joke.

Well, "ranch" mink are considered domesticated because their reproduction is
human controlled, they have been genetically altered by human selective
breeding practices, and they are being economically exploited (i.e.; farmed
for fur) by humans.  However, behaviorally, they are not much different than
the wild version, which means you may be able to tame it, but they will
never act the same as a domesticated pet, such as a dog, cat, or ferret.
They will always display wild behaviors, usually at the exact time you don't
want them too, like when left alone with a kitten.

As for breeding, ferrets have 40 chromosomes and mink have 32.  In short, it
is nearly impossible.  I've heard rumors it is possible, even that some
ferrets have been crossed with mink, but I have also heard Elvis is living
in Turlock, California.  You have a better chance winning the lottery.

"This is 3rd mink rescued; first was destroyed by wildlife rehab folks, [and
the] second mink died two days after porcupine quills..." This is precisely
why they are typically distroyed; first, nobody wants them, second, they are
not the best pets in the world and very unreliable, and third, usually the
reason they are able to be "rescued" is something is wrong with them so they
can't make it in the wild.  Usually, destruction is seen as being the least
cruel long-term procedure.  If I had been there, assuming wildlife rescue
declined an invitation, I would have scooted it out of the garage with a
broom, and been happy to see it over.

Personally, the problem as I see it is how to get rid of the little lady
without being responsible for her demise.  Most places you could take it to
will distroy it.  It's chance of surviving the wild is small enough, but the
fact that it was found in a garage is evidence that it was failing the
survival test to begin with, so a release will probably end up as
"unsuccessful." Most zoos wouldn't want it because it is not a "wild"
animal.  Take it to a mink farm, and next year it will be part of some
republican lady's coat.  If you decide to keep it, well, if you think
ferrets are bad, then welcome to hell, or so you will think for the next 6
to 8 years until the sweet little monster dies of natural causes.  Of
course, it could bite someone, and then the problem will be taken out of
your hands as her little head is removed for rabies testing.  And if you are
bit, well, I understand the new rabies shots are not nearly as unpleasent as
the ones I took several years ago.  I've never been the same, taking up with
bad puns and worse limericks.  Fair warning.

There is one other reason I would suggest wild animals NEVER be brought into
contact with domesticated ones, and that is because of the chance of
contracting parasites, viruses, or some other nasty thing from the newbee.
If you think ECE is bad, can you imagine what would happen if a mink was
rescued, placed in a ferret shelter, then found to have rabies?  Or if a
wild virus was introduced into your shelter ferts, only to spread into the
ferret community as a whole?  I have rescued a car load of wild animals
before, and I have to say, I've NEVER rescued one that was well, eating
good, or not suffering from some sort of nasty ailment.  You are placing
your ferrets at risk, and possibly other ferrets as well.

I absolutely adore animals, but I would never let a bear into my front room,
or a bison in my backyard, even if it means they will die in the wild.
That's life in the naturally selective world, as cruel as it sounds, and I
have absolutely no desire to change those things that have been occuring
since life originated.  Naturally done or God inspired, the system works,
and as smart as I am, even if I were a genius, an entire planet of me could
not figure out how to make the system better.  I might rescue the occasional
human-injured animal; like owls hit by cars, or orphaned weasels, but I
leave the wild to the wild, even when I know they will die as the result,
because I understand that their death will maintain life in others.  Cold?
Yes.  Uncaring?  You decide.  Realistic?  Absolutely.

I strongly suggest all ferret shelters, when confronted with the rescue of
an wild animal, especially a wild mustelid, such as a mink, weasel or skunk,
leave it for the wild animal rescue shelters, no matter how cute or sweet
the little beast can appear.  And while the tone of this post might seem
stern to some, the sternness is a reflection of the importance of the issue,
rather than a flame.  This is serious; you, your ferrets, your other pets,
your children, even other people's ferrets are at risk each time you bring
in a wild animal.  Such rescues require specialized training for the
pick-up, the care, and the release of the animal.  If you need to ask
questions "how," then you don't have the training.  Mink are wonderful
creatures, but any ferret lover that mistakes appearance for behavior is
making the same mistake the California Fish and Game makes, but in reverse.
I pray it works out well.

Mo' Bob and the 17 Mo' Wild Weasels (In memory of Buddy and Gus)