From:
Cynthia Obrist <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jun 2003 22:33:09 -0400
The original post said
>From:    shron33 <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Need help with window; Daily News Article
>
>I use those screens that you stick in just beyond where the window
>closes.... There is a 1 1/2 in. gap between the top of the screen and
>the bottom of the upper window.  Rocky keeps looking up there and
>sometimes climbing up the screen.  One time I caught him just as he
>was going over the top....

One of my ferrets took a flight down two stories into the bushes in front
of house flying on one of these portable window screens.  He was loose
overnight in the rain until we finally found him by leaving the basement
door open and he climbed into a pile of dirty ferret laundry.  Luckily,
he suffered nothing more serious than some bruises.

I hired a "handyman" to make a screen for the window using both regular
window screen and "hardware cloth," which is a heavier type of screen
they sell in hardware/lumber stores.  I got a piece of molding that he
used to secure the edges all the way around.  I only had him screen the
bottom half of the window that opens, but it's secured on all four sides
so that even when the ferret climbs up onto the screen (which he still
does) he can't possibly climb out of the top because it's secured.  The
hardware cloth keeps the ferret from digging through the regular screen.
You still need the regular screen to keep out insects, though.

If you have questions, contact me off-list.  It wasn't the prettiest
solution, but it sure has worked well.  Cocoa has not taken any more
flights out of the second story window, despite his best attempts.

Cindy and the flying Cocoa Bean