From:
Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 1995 02:48:53 -0700
To Melanie Pacella:

> this may be a silly question, but my next door neighbor said that her dog
>had hookworm.  Since the ferrets go for walks in the backyard and so forth,
>I was a little concerned.  Can ferrets get hookworm?

    Yes, ferrets can get hookworm, but it's very uncommon.  Farily common
in dogs however, and yards can become seeded, so the dogs get recurrent
cases.  Usually it causes little problems in dogs, but in severe cases,
especially in puppies, may cuases life-threatening anemia.

    It would be best to dtay out of the affected dog's yard, and if you
thnk there is a possibility Norm has been exposed, take a stool sample to
your vet.

Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP
Dept. of Vet Path, AFIP
[log in to unmask]  OR