From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Oct 2006 02:03:46 -0400
Hello FML --

I am in a fert-forbidden zone, and for this and other reasons don't
want to address this problem myself, but perhaps someone else will go
for it. The store in question is deliberately giving out misinformation
about vaccines, apparently because their own vet facility does not
offer them. Also, they are using inappropriate bedding because it is
less expensive and, I suspect, because it masks the usual ferret smell.

Here's the story more or less as I told it to Kate McKinley a skilled
fearless ferret advocate who has offerrred to give tips on how to
handle and correct problem stores. She is at [log in to unmask]

The ferrets have an ok enclosure but the enclosure floor is covered
with pine shavings. The employees know that that is bad for the
ferrets, but say the management wont change it because that bedding is
the least expensive and, I believe, also has a spicy smell that masks
the fert scent. I have bought ferrets there, and they are well
socialized. The staff is really good and know the kits individually.
The kits always have food and water and a clean poop place.

Anyway, that day I chose this little but robust and lively black female
kit, noted after awhile she was sniffling, and asked the employee
helping me if the kit was sick. She said no, that it was due to the
pine, and the sniffling would go probably go away in a couple of days.
We talked about the pine not being good for the kits, and how the
management insisted on using it.

As it turned out, my kit had an upper respiratory infection. After
a couple of days I took her to my vet for her initial exam and to
check the sniffling and sneezing. Apparently it looked like a minor
infection, but worth watching. By that time all my other fererts had
been exposed, and the infection isnow going though my entire business.
Lots of sniffles and sneezes, but nothing really serious.

OK, so that is not good, but the serious problem at the store is that
the staff has been directed to say that the kits are fully vaccinated
ferrets. I was around when a young couple were getting their first
ferret. We hit it off, so I hung around as they chose their kit and
etc. When I heard the employee tell them about the vaccinations, I
corrected her, and she said yes, she knew, but they weren't allowed to
say that because the in-store vet setup didn't offer the vaccinations.

The place is one of the Grange Co-ops -- in South Medford, OR, and was
previously known as Pet Country. There are a few Grange Co-ops in the
area. This one is at 2833 North Pacific Highway in North Medford.
Phone: 541-773-7087.

P.S., I went back for petfood yesterday (mostly dog food) and described
what had happened w/ the upper respiratory infection passing to all my
ferrets. Their response was a $4 discount on the ferret food.