From:
KiSta Ferret Shelter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 07:52:16 -0500
Hello FML and Ferretguy,

Could you please send me some facts to back up the statement you made,

>People can be allergic to ferrets                      False.

I have seen people have serious allergic reactions after coming into my
home.  Just this weekend I had a gentleman drop off two young ferrets.  He
was obviously having an allergic reaction, and he had a doctors diagnosis
of being allergic to the ferrets (yes, he brought it with him and I did
see it).  His eyes and face were red and swollen, he experienced trouble
breathing (he was using the inhaler prescribed by his physician), and he
had a runny nose.  It was very obvious he was allergic to ferrets.  He had
his ferrets in a cage without any type of wood bedding; just a towel as he
also thought it could be the litter that was causing the reaction.

This man had pet cats without incident.  His ferrets were eating kitten
food.  There was nothing else that could have caused the reaction, other
than the ferrets.  The man was heartbroken that he could not keep these two
precious, 9 week old kits.  He was also upset that he'd spent so much money
on them and all their accessories after someone had told him that he was
not going to have a reaction to them allergy-wise.  Now, because of that
misinformation, two tiny baby ferrets were forced to come into a shelter.

I'd like to see some backup information on this statement, please.

Kim Rushing
KiSta Ferret Shelter
www.kistaferret.com