From:
Melody Tomaszewicz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2006 14:56:23 -0400
Sirius  ?--September 16, 2006

We rescued Sirius with his cagemate Snape from a couple who didn't want
him anymore about 5 years ago.  I don't know exactly how old he was, but
he was still on the young side then.  He became fast friends with our
elderly chocolate girl Sweetie because he reminded her of her first cage
mate Furry who had passed away.  He made her last few months of life
happy.  Two years ago he was returned the favor by an elderly ferret who
reminded him of Snape (who had passed on).  He befriended Buddy, and kept
him from shelter shock.

He wasn't so sure about the other eight that we had at that time.  He
spent the mornings and the first part of the evening playtime in my
daughter's arms because he was afraid of the others.  By the time he had
become fully integrated, he had also adopted Michelle as his "Momma." He
liked the rest of us, but he had a special bond with her.  He was the
first ferret to really need her.

Sirius came through adrenal surgery last year like a champ.  Early in
2006, he got infected with Coccidia; because his immune system was
weakened by IBD and the beginnings of insulinoma.  Carafate and Pred and
a special low allergy diet as well as extra feedings of mush bought him
some good quality time.  The last few weeks he started showing signs of
"circling the drain." There is a lightness that I sense when picking up
a ferret who will soon go to the bridge.  It's not so much a physical
lightness, as a sense that there is a metaphysical cord attached to his
center that is "pulling" him up.  It's like his soul WANTS to go.  He was
too weak to play, and couldn't go to the box anymore, or clean himself up
when he got pee and poop on himself.

We took him to the vet Saturday afternoon, and he left with the dignity
and grace with which he lived.  Sweetie, Snape and Buddy came for him.

Goodbye my ferret Grandson, you will be missed.

Melodyt and the fanastic four

--
Melody Tomaszewicz
Holdings Record Maintenance Team Leader

             \(_   \(_

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."