From:
"Ferrets First Shelter, TX" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 May 1996 22:33:31 -0400
Okay gang, here is the latest on our little 'miracle kid'.

I called Monica to check in on Sunday and learned that White Fang has
recovered very well after her surgery.  All is great with her.  THANK YOU
FMLers! ! !

Monica says this gal is truly a handful.  She describes White Fang as "very,
very smart", and as we all know that can create quite a challenge.  White
Fang does not respond to many sounds so it is probable that she has some
difficulty hearing, not sure yet if she is totally deaf.  She is also an
"escape artist", I know, I know, aren't they all, but Monica says that this
one is *different*.  Then, Monica has also 'discovered' that she *does not*
get along with other ferrets at all.  So it looks like she will need to go
to a home that does not have existing ferrets.  Many, many thanks to all who
have offered to take this one in, but it looks like she indeed has some very
special needs.  I was certainly hoping it would be possible to work
something out in Calgary or Boise for a new home for her, but I want to be
sure this special little one is adopted to the *right* home that can
accomodate her needs.  She will probably have to be an "only" ferret.

Unfortunately, this is often the reason they wind up at the SPCA and other
animal shelters.  People are just not willing to put forth the effort to
understand these precious little fuzzies, ant try to help them.  Perhaps,
over time, she can be taught to accept other ferrets, though I am not too
hopeful of that, I just can't help being optimistic.

Tentative plans for her travel have been made.  Monica is not a shelter and
we are all very grateful for her help with White Fang, but she cannot remain
there for too much longer.

Kelleen and I have been in contact over all this and though she wants to
help this little one, it seems that right now she just has her hands full.
I prefer not to ask her to hold White Fang for the evaluation period and
(hopefully) socialization.  I have facilities and am here most of the time
to work with "special cases".  I am quite accustomed to the routine of
"separate play times" for unsocial ferrets.  There are three here now that
need their own time, Sam, Boomer, and Devadander, so one more won't be a big
deal for me at all.

Bob Church plans to travel to Calgary and has graciously offered to
transport our little miracle kid.  I can't think of a better way for her to
travel than with someone who loves them like he does.  He plans to travel to
Boise and may even be able to bring her as far south as Colorado Springs.
Kelleen is also willing to keep her for any length of time that we need her
to.  We may have someone who can pick her up in Boise and bring her south to
us by air, but this person's travel is tentative.  Not sure yet how all
these details will be worked out.

Thank you all so much for your help with this precious little girl.  Without
you guys I am not sure where she would be now.  I think her bills will be
covered, that is, as long as we can keep from having to fly her somewhere to
make a connection.  I have a little left in the White Fang Fund to cover her
expenses traveling with Bob and I want to send something to Monica to cover
her food, etc.  while there.

Guess you all read of the rough time that Kelleen is having financailly and
I would like so much to help out.  I have sold some extra hammocks and bowls
lately and I think I will be able to send her a small check, at least, to
help her out right now.  Everyone has been so helpful with White Fang, I
feel this is the least I can do for someone who is doing so much for our
needy fuzzy companions.  I'll catch up on bills here someday, I am sure.

As things develop, I will update the FML, so keep reading and watching for
news of our special little kiddo.

Thanks to all, and kisses to the fuzzies.

Trish