From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jun 1997 01:42:09 -0700
Dear FML Friends,

Like all of you, I sit down with heavy heart today, writing this after
hearing about Kodo.  I keep thinking of that poem that one of the folks
here has posted before... it expresses my feelings better than anything
else could:

Come with me, oh human child
To the waters and the wild
With a faery hand-in-hand
For the world's more full of weeping
Than you can understand.

And, I feel terrible to add to this, but...
Tuesday night, as I was cooking dinner, I went back to my room to turn off
the radio, and suddenly heard the word "ferret." The station coming in--
barely-- was full of static and I had difficulty hearing what was said.  So
I hesitated to post this, hoping someone who heard the broadcast clearly &
completely would write in.  But now I think I was the only FML person to
hear this, so I will tell you what I can of it.

The station is KFI, AM 640, a talk show station.  The host is Wayne Resnic,
who is on during weeknights, 7--9 PM.  It is possible that this show may be
repeated on Saturday night, sometime between 12--5 AM, which is the rerun
slot (but I don't know).

Wayne Resnic started out by mentioning the legalization effort in
California, reminding his listeners that ferret-owning Californians are
criminals.  He then transitioned into the Kodo case.  He said that Kodo had
"bitten" someone.  He described the person who was "bitten" as sitting in
fear, wondering whether or not he had rabies.  He said that Kodo's owner was
"arrogant" and put his pet's welfare (a mere animal) above that of his
fellow human beings.  He said that Kodo's owner and fellow ferret-fanatics
were responsible for tying up the Michigan court system and preventing the
health authorities from doing their job, thus delaying the crucial process
of testing the ferret for rabies so that the "bite victim" could proceed to
get rabies shots, if needed, & have peace of mind about his unknown
condition.  Resnick said that the efficacy of the ferret rabies vacine was
unknown & unproven, unlike the vaccine for cats and dogs, and that all
people who own ferrets are in possession of "rabies time bombs."

Resnick took two calls from listeners, neither one of which was sympathetic
to Kodo.  Well, by this time we couldn't get to the phone fast enough.  When
we called KFI, the screener (?) said that there were so many calls lined up,
that there wasn't room for our call.  Then guess what happened?

Resnic blathered on for awhile about all these awful people who let their
pets abuse other people, and ended up going on a tangent about yapping,
noisy dogs.  He took one or two calls from people complaining about dogs,
and that was it.  So where were all these alleged callers who were lined up,
waiting to talk about Kodo?  We never heard them.  And, even though I was
rushing to and fro between rooms, cooking dinner in one room and trying to
listen to the discussion thru a wall of static in the other, I'm sure that
not one single Kodo call was put on the air.

This Resnic guy is an arrogant @**H*** who can't even get his facts
straight.  For those of you who want to express your feelings about this
show (and the timing, California friends, couldn't be WORSE), here is the
info:

KFI AM 640
610 So. Ardmore Ave.
Los Angeles, CA  90005

office phone:  (213)  385-0101
on-the-air talk show phone:  use 800 (tollfree) or any of these LA area
codes--
213, 310, 818, 562 and dial: 520-1 KFI
e-mail:  [log in to unmask]
fax:  (213) 385-7076

If you use the Yahoo search engine, you will find a lot of listings for KFI,
including two "unofficial" websites where you can post your comments.

I am sorry that I did not post this earlier, but I felt reticient about it,
given the difficulty I had hearing the broadcast.  But this is something
that Our Community needs to know about.

Kodo is Everyone's Ferret.
And what happened to Robert Jacobs could so easily happen to anyone!

With tears and anger...

(JM)