From:
"March, Jim" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 1996 20:51:58 +0000
I took Felix the ultra-cuddle albino to my company picnick in the park last
summer...being Califugitives, we always draw a crowd.

Somebody else had a cute 20lbs Jack Russell Terrier, a frantic-yet-friendly
pup.  Felix and the dog got along OK, a bit of play, some mutual sniffing,
nothing major.  Towards the end of the day, little Felix was really tired,
and decided to nap on my lap.  So just as he's settling in, and I'm leaning
back talking to someone else, that hyper dog jumps up on my lap and decides
to satisfy his new weasel curiosity by rapidly and harshly prodding Felix
with his nose, sniffing him all over and waking him up.

Felix raises his head, eyes half shut, looks at the dog and like lightning,
grabs the dog by the lower lip.

Both the dog and I were shocked.  Felix did *not* draw blood, he didn't even
clamp down enough to make the dog whimper - he just held his lip for a
couple of seconds, let go, and just *looked* at the dog.  It was *obviously*
a warning, the way you might grab some drunk in a bar by the top of his
shirt, haul him close and say, "Enough - GO AWAY before you get hurt!".

When Felix let go, the dog backed his head up, held still and just stared
for a moment, then left peacefully.  Felix dropped back to sleep - having
stood up for himself without pushing it all the way to a fight.  I've never
been more proud.