Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 11:17:56 -0500
Bryan said:

>Suffice it to say, that as soon as I told them what I had seen, they
>heartily approved of calling in the SPCA, and all assorted peoples.
>However, they also said that I don't "need" a fourth ferret.  Need?  I
>suppose I don't NEED another ferret..  but I do NEED to help this guy!

The people in my family, even my friends, say the EXACT same thing!!  I
currently own an assortment of 68 various pets, most rescues, and spend
three hours a day on cage chores alone.  I wouldn't hesitate to take more,
either to place in a better situation or rehab myself.  Do we NEED them??
What does our own self-centered needs have to do with it?  THEY need US!
That's the beginning and the end of it.

I particularly liked the response that my sister gave when, while fostering
an injured shelter dog, my mother asked her, "What I want to know is... what
are YOU getting out of all this?"

My sister responded, "It's not a GETTING thing -- it's a GIVING thing." I'll
never forget her words.  If a person can understand this, no explanation is
needed.  If a person cannot understand this, no explanation will do.

Bryan, realize in the deepest part of your heart that what you are doing is
motivated by kindness and compassion, empathy and selflessness.  No need to
EVER feel guilty about this.  The fact that you mentioned paying money to
rescue the ferret, only to give it away to someone on the FML means that you
aren't even remotely considering your own needs.  If only a million more
people could see the world from your eyes.

(sending fert kisses from Mink)
-cadel