Date:
Mon, 9 Sep 1996 20:04:11 -0700
Hi FMLers!

It seems like every time I go into my local pet store I find a new food.
Last week I reported my discovery of the new Eukanuba cat food.  My guys
like it alot, BTW!  I went back and got the 6.5 lb bag for $10.79.  I also
bought a new 5 lb bag of Totally Ferret for $12.99.  This actually makes the
Eukanuba a better value(you get more for less).  This is a really high
quality food.  It does not come in other formulations, such as "kitten", at
least not at this time.  The package says it is ideal for all life stages
and has "zero" vegetable protein.  My 6.5 lb package says it will feed one 8
lb cat for 50 days(1/2 cup daily).  Since the food is highly utilized, less
is wasted during digestion.  We all know that the higher the quality, the
less they need, and the less poop there is to scoop!  Of course, I have no
idea what the difference in quantity would be in regard to a 3 lb(or less)
ferret.  I assume that since their metabolism is much faster than a cat, the
weight disparity would be minimized and the intake would be very similar?
Since most people free-feed their ferrets, I guess it would be hard to say
unless you premeasured it first.  Of course, I mix the Eukanuba with TF,
Marshall's, ANF Tami Ami, and Excel kitten(like Iams without the ethoxyquin-
NO, I did not buy it for that reason!<GG>) YES, I am completely out of
control with this mixing of foods!<GGG> I plan to eliminate one or two, at
least.  I actually even have to buy one more for Gidget, my 3 year old
sprite who refuses to eat anything but Nutro Max kitten.  Their food takes
up half of my pantry closet!<GGG> Anyway...I have no clue how long a 6.5 lb
bag of Eukanuba will feed one ferret!!  ; ) Oh, they are also running a
promotion where you buy 10 bags(possibly 12...not sure)and you get one free.
There is no time limitation.  Sign up at your pet store with your first
purchase.

NEW DISCOVERY: Okay, finally I get to the real point of this message!  I
came across 8 in 1(with Ferretone) canned food yesterday.  It came in three
flavors: chicken, beef and fish.  I read only the ingredients in the
chicken, which were: chicken, chicken by-products, turkey, corn-stuff, etc.)
I was very surprised to see onion and garlic powder listed as ingredients.
I know I've seen several people express concern about these ingredients in
Gerber's baby food.  That's why most people prefer to use Beechnut, instead.
There were lots of other ingredients in front of the onion and garlic
powder, so I assume that there are only very small amounts in the can.  The
protein was 10%, the fat was 7% and the moisture was 74%.  Using Pam Grant's
mathematical equation, I multiplied the percentages by .74(moisture content)
and multiplied that number by three to get the "dry" equivalent.  Therefore,
the protein is approx.  22%, and the fat is approx.  15.5%.  Science diet
A/D which is 8.5% protein, 5.25% fat, and 78% moisture, is equal to approx.
19.9% protein, and 12.3% fat.  Each can was $.99.  Since the percentages of
protein and fat are higher in the 8 in 1, this might be a good, lower cost
alternative to the Science Diet A/D, for those who need it.

ANGEL: Angel's kidney removal surgery is scheduled for Wednesday.  Dr.
Edling will be taking her home with her until Friday(what a great vet!).
I'll post when I know conclusively whether or not it was successful in
eliminating her incontinence.  Thanks to all the FMLers who have extended
their support to me over these past few months.  I am forever grateful!

Bye for now!

Dodie and the Fuzzy Five(Gidget, Molly, Teddy, Fozzy and Lil' Angel)

P.S.: Look for me and 3 of my 5 fuzzies(Molly, Teddy and Fozzie) at the
      LOS show on Oct 5. My first ferret show! Yippee!  : D