From:
Specialz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Dec 1997 19:22:20 +0000
This is a first hand update on the tragedy in Spokane.

I have spoke with Jean Smith a well established and much loved breeder in
the Spokane area who has recently had to deal with the Immediate loss of 82
and to date 93 deaths have been reported by Miss Smith, as some recover some
are not so fortunate with four more near fatal ferrets going to the
veterinary clinic tomorrow with cuts and infections that did not get better
with antibiotic treatments.

I must admit that my views of people in general have been uplifted with the
kindness and support that has been offered however it has been brought to my
attention that their are concerns about where, what and how much is needed I
will do my best to clarify this matter with the hope that people do not feel
the need to hesitate with their kindness.  One major concern has been where
to send money that is needed for veterinary cost and this is simple, send it
to the Vet (WSU Dr. Eric Stauber 509-335-0711) I am sure the University
takes Credit Cards as verified on earlier post on the FML.  Jean has
$1041.00 owed to WSU and $114.00 to Dr. Pointes office in Spokane with
another $2000.00 in cost unrelated to the ferrets and this would explain the
$3000.00 figure that was given the other day as a amount that would be
helpful, Let me just remind all of you wonderful people that we still have
injured ferrets that need medical help so more cost will accrue.

There has also been some mix up about trust funds that have been established
in the Spokane area and to the best of my knowledge and believe me I did
some checking their is only one place to send cash donations other then
veterinary bills and that is to Jean Smith and anyone can contact me for the
address.  Now Someone in Spokane opened a account that has been publicized
in the news with US Bank however no one knows who opened the account and I
can not verify anything until I meet with Jean tomorrow who knows nothing
about a trust account in her name she was nice enough to give me the names
and phone numbers of people she thought would open a account for her but at
this time I recommend we play it safe until this can be resolved and posted
and I feel that will only take one day so please lets not let this stop
helping the ferrets who need us right now.

I will post more information as I receive it and please remember to flood
the police and local news with your comments and concerns.

Thanks, Scott and the little ones