From:
J Higgins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jul 2000 15:29:06 -0400
At 10:39 7/29/00 -0500, Ed Hoffer wrote:
>...Yes it would be nice if everyone reacted responsibly, but do you
>honestly think that Performance Foods has the resources to do a physical
>on-site inventory and yank every "bad" bag that is out of their control,
>sure they probably did it where they could, but everywhere in the world?
>I'm sorry, I am a realist, lets put the blame where it belongs, the
>distributors and stores who "had other more pressing" matters to pursue,
>or the workers and their supervisors who just didn't care enough to do
>the job right.

I would agree with you if Performance Foods were telling us all which
batch numbers represent a problem and had issued a recall on those batches.
This is not the case.  We are being given two batch numbers subject to
Performance Foods recall while being told that several other batch numbers
are the subject of "numerous complaints." Performance Foods cannot go out
and yank food at who knows how many locations, but at the same time few of
these locations are likely to yank food that Performance Foods refuses to
recall officially.

Performance Foods is suggesting we apply a sniff test to food currently in
the stores, including batches already the subject of "numerous complaints."
Why aren't these batches on the recall list since they are the subject of
numerous complaints and represent enough of an issue that Performance Foods
recommends applying a sniff test?

I ask again, if Gerber foods recommended a sniff test vs a recall, what
would you think of Gerber foods?  Never mind how efficiently such a recall
can be performed in the baby food vs the pet food markets, the real issue
is that FIRST YOU HAVE TO ISSUE THE RECALL!

I'd also point out that we have never been addressed by Performance Foods
on this matter.  All information is via third parties with one anonymous
posting thought to be posted by Performance Foods.  Someone tell me what's
RIGHT with this picture.

--
Jim H

[Moderator's note: I've received another response from Performance Foods
but I want to check with them first since it was forwarded via a third
party.  I expect the response will be posted in tomorrow's FML.  BIG]