From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 May 2006 00:10:32 +0000
Thanks so much to everyone for their ideas.  I guess I could've come up
with a better subject line but was so frustrated and worried.  I bought
a ton of stuff, anything that remotely sounded like it would help.  So
far, A&D ointment (zinc-free) has helped some but I guess I'm going to
have to get the kind with zinc or Desitin with zinc.  I'm concerned about
zinc poisoning though.  I believe contact with urine is what's causing
the problem at this point.  I think it started out as an abrasion and
now the urine is causing irritation and slowing/preventing healing.  She
just can't stand up high enough or long enough to keep herself dry.

I contacted our vets but they haven't heard of Neo-Predef (R).  I'm not
giving up though.  Nobody else will sell anything other than Hill's food
without seeing her and going to a new vet (not ferret savvy) means paying
a comprehensive office visit with new patient set-up fees that I just
don't have right now.  Lupron, Diazoxide and heart medications have a
way of adding up over time.  I have everything compounded (no sugar or
alcohol) in another state so that further increases costs.

I'm aware of the 'wheels' and realize I may have to get her one sooner
or later.  I'm still hoping things will improve but it's been close to
a month now.

I may try the antiseptic wash and bandage suggestion but I have my
doubts any bandage will stay on for very long.  Two years ago she had a
sebaceous epithelioma on the side of her neck that got absolutely huge in
a matter of days and it was next to impossible to keep covered before it
was removed (another road trip).  I used sterile gauze pads and bandages,
medical tape, self-sticking medical wrap and ace bandages as well as a
few other things.  I even made a 'sweater' out of one of my crocheted
winter socks to cover the bandages with.  She turned it into a game and
was very proud of herself for becoming so accomplished at removing
everything.  She has blankets and things on the floor but goes to nearby
puppy pads to relieve herself and then finds a spot on the carpet to
'wipe'.  She 'wipes' after I wipe her with baby wipes.  She takes 2mg a
day of prednisolone for Insulinoma so I doubt increasing it would make a
difference.  Besides, it doesn't seem to itch.  She just prefers to be
clean, according to her standards.  She even tries to get my shirt or the
side of my cheek when I'm holding and feeding her with a spoon.  She's
already reaching for one or the other before I can put the spoon down
and grab a napkin.  And, yes, she wipes her face on the carpet after I
wipe it with a napkin.  She is very spoiled and worth it!

Thanks again to everyone for the ideas!

[SO]