From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 15:57:20 EST
>Hmmmmmmm, well we require that the adopter feed a good quality ferret,
>not cat food; we require that the ferret be caged when unsupervised; ...
>we require that you sign a contract agreeing to those points.

I very rarely post, but once again I am shocked by some of he
"requirements" shelters have for their potential adopters.  Although I am
a VERY active member of our "local" ferret group/rescue (not CDFA) here
in California (and own a surrender ferret myself) and have been active in
legalization etc., I regularly read on this mailing list that many shelter
operators would consider me an unfit ferret adopter!  Perhaps statements
such as the one above are meant as "guidelines" and not absolutes and that
individual households are considered on an individual basis according to
the "guidelines".  I certainly hope so, because I would hate to think that
there would be a ferret out there somewhere needing a real home who would
not be able to go home with someone like me!  IMO, this is why we should
always examine a shelter's procedures before sending donations (obvious
horror cases excepted such as a large breeder being closed down and a
shelter literally being flooded w/ferrets, etc..  ).

For the record, I feed my 2 weasels a 80%/20% mix of Animal Food Service
"Carnivore Diet"- a "pricey" total meat & bone diet (NO grain products at
all, none) in freeze-dried patties; not a "ferret-specific" food- and mixed
kibble (Innova, Eukanuba & sometimes TF).  Furthermore, I do sometimes
leave my ferrets out while I am not there (they are both 4+ years old,
slowing down, and sleep alot).

pocha in CA