From:
Wes Hurley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Aug 2005 18:03:31 -0500
We've just come from a discussion wherein one person imagined the
difference between humans and animals is that humans think.  This is
Susie Lee, who begs much to differ.

Animals think clearly and their Focus of attention happens to always be
in "the now".  I have seen ferrets who were neutered and essentially
"sexless" since five weeks of age( the mills do that way too early on
these critters) pick out little furry toys about the size that newborn
kits would be and stash them in a dry, dark spot, like under the
television cabinet, for a "den", and then COUNT their "kits"...making
sure of each, and their number.

Sometimes another ferret will steal a toy from the first ferrets' stash
of toy-kits whereupon, as soon as the first one COUNTS them by laying a
single paw upon each one-by-one and quite apparently (to us humans who
watched this) coming up with a shorted count of 19 rather than 20 (yes!
They Have frequently counted to 20 toy-kits and more!) the first ferret
will hare off onto the scent of the toy-kit stealer and retrieve their
originally counted 20th (or whatever number) toy.

Never slight the animals around you for being unable to think...they can
read your body language and your scent and literally see right through
you just with those two abilities.